Subject: Re: [office-metadata] So where do we stand?

Hi Rob,

Here some answers from my current point of view:

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> I missed last week's call.  Instead of catching up on all of the
> email's, I'm hoping someone can give a quick summary.
>

> 1)  Do we have a consensus on a metadata model and bindings into ODF?
>  If so, what is it?

We have a consensus on using RDF and to include RDF/XML streams.
As well there is a consensus that there should be something like a
metadata text-field for metadata strings in the content.
We are discussing whether we have to restrict the RDF/XML model to make
it more usable for XML technologies (e.g. XSLT & Query) and the details
of a metadata text-field.
We have no consensus regarding the bindings, but I assume we have an
understanding what the issues about bindings are.

> 2) If there is no consensus, then, what proposals are we currently
> considering?
To get ahead, I am preparing a proposal for the RDF/XML streams and a
meta-data text field in the next couple of days. Based on the
discussions we had, it will converge to what Bruce is proposing, and
use  non-XPath and non-XForms RDF like bindings, but might as well
include XForms as an additional option, as we have it already in ODF.

> 3) Is this going to be the kind of decision which will be reached by
> consensus, or will this come down to a vote?  In other word, are we
> converging on a consensus, or are we circling around the campfire?
I think we are converging. If it is okay for the group, I will write
down a compromise from my perspective to have a precise base for
discussions.

Regards,