Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Any option for a RDF/XML subset?

On Feb 13, 2007, at 11:52 AM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> Considering the time we have left for the complete proposal, I
> would rather consider for this version the solution to restrict the
> included RDF/XML in the package to a subset of the syntax, as
> provoking a normalization and upgrade to a alternative RDF XML
> metadata standard, when it becomes available as a standard.
> Such a normalization could be achieved by a transformation that
> have to be written once for ODF applications and might help all XML
> processing, therefore seems wort to be considered
>
> Do you have a proposal for a RDF/XML subset?

I worked on this months ago. Spec language and schema is here:

<http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/Metadata_Model_and_Syntax>

However, I no longer favor such formal constraints. Our focus is the
RDF model, and I don't think it's our business to be constraining the
syntax.

As a simple example, XMP is also a profile of the RDF/XML syntax (as
well as the RDF model). But it's non-standard, and would actually be
invalid according to my earlier proposed schema (in link above). So
if we foramlly constrain the syntax, we say that XMP is invalid.

I really think it's enough to offer suggestions for serialziation.

Curious what John and Dan Brickley think of this.