Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Any option for a RDF/XML subset?

On Feb 14, 2007, at 3:02 AM, Michael Brauer wrote:

> Regarding the constraints itself: My understanding is that RDF-XML
> supports multiple variants. Unfortunately, I have no experience
> - how difficult it is to implement all of them,
> - what RDF-XML frameworks exists, and whether they support all
> variants,
> - whether there is a common subset of RDF-XML that is known to work in
> all applications.

There aren't multiple variants per se. There is RDF/XML, the W3C
standard. It has a notoriously flexible syntax. For example, properties
may be represented as attributes or elements. There are other examples
like this.

There are also some RDF-XML profiles (subsets). XMP is an example
(though oddly they subset the model rather than per se the syntax). RSS
1.0 is another.

So your question about "multiple variants" and implementing "all" of
them can't really be answered (because there are not really multiple
discrete things), except to say best to support RDF/XML if you want to
be fully compatible.

The frameworks/libraries (Redland, Jena, RDFLib, etc.) will of course
handle reading and writing the RDF/XML for you. You work with the model
through the API. This is indeed the point of using RDF as a common
model.

> What I'm mostly concerned is the implementability of metadata in ODF.
> If it is easy to implement the full RDF-XML specification, then we may
> not need any constrains.

The really easy approach is to just use some existing open source RDF
library, which will have all that support. I'm not sure how hard it is
to implement an RDF/XML parser if you needed to do, but there's plenty
of examples around in existing implementations.

The interesting issue is that if you constrain the syntax, you might
make those RDF tools work less well. E.g. there is a trade-off between
friendliness to, say, XPath, and to RDF.