Subject: Re: [office-metadata] naming schema

On Feb 21, 2007, at 6:37 AM, Florian Reuter wrote:

> What do you think?

Well, there's really two proposals here: one for naming (URI)
conventions, and one for styles.

On the first, you say in the document:

> In order to make metadata statements about parts of an OpenDocument
> you need to have a naming schema.

True. But we have one one: the URI. Elias made the point very early
on -- which is a point I think we need to live by -- that we do not
want to treat these URIs as anything but opaque identifiers. Their
only purpose is to uniquely and consistently identify resources.

 From that perspective, worrying about whether the string "table"
shows up in an ID for a table is not only not our job, but is
counterproductive.

This is such an important point I think it should go in the proposal
we present to the TC.

Styles as mechanism to apply metadata:

As I've mentioned before, I think your use case here really wants to
treat the paragraph as a resource and to annotate it with properties.

One way to achieve that without using explicit ids on the paragraph
node is to treat it as a blank node, and one way to do that with an
RDFa-like appraoch is to use meta:class. If we allow that, then we
could allow such an attribute optionally on styles.

But I think if we do this, it has to be fully based on and consistent
with the core proposal. I'd like us to settle that first (we still
have details to work out there), and if we have time to then consider
this.