Subject: Re: [office-metadata] naming schema

On Feb 21, 2007, at 8:43 AM, Florian Reuter wrote:

> Sure we can add a UUID. However then there would be at least two ways
> to address an object. E.g. consider a graphic with a name "Mona Lisa"
> and the UUID 24905720957209.
>
> So why would we like to have two different ways to reference to this
> object?

For images, we've said the rdf:about value would be either an optional
URI added to the manifest, or a URI based on the file path.

> This is where the idea of using "graphic::'Mona Lisa'" comes from
> since we already have an "identifier" set by the
> user...

But we also have the file path.

> I have the strong feeling that if we introduce an additional reference
> schema, e.g. based on UUID and meta:class that we will end up allowing
> an ID/meta:class everywhere we can set a display-name or a style name
> :-)

I think we need to step back and ask some basic questions:

1) what things do we need to identify (document, table, image,
paragraph, etc.)?

2) how best to identify them?

We still haven't talked much about URIs for the document proper, for
example, which can impact this discussion.

Using meta:class is a way to describe unidentified resources (it says
"this resource has an rdf:type of ..."), BTW, and so is a separate
issue.