Subject: Re: [office-metadata] summarizing recent suggestions

Elias,

I have addressed some of your comments and ideas in my reply to Bruce,
so I'm only providing my point of view here for those topics not
discussed there.

Elias Torres wrote:
> Svante.Schubert@Sun.COM wrote on 02/27/2007 02:18:57 PM:
>
>> Hi Bruce, Hi Elias,
>>
>> Thank you for the summary, Bruce and both of you for your comments.
>> Sorry for the delay, but I had to discuss these things, before I wanted
>> to go back on the list.
>> Find my comments in line:
>>
>> Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>>> So based on recent discussion and comments from Elias, this is what I
>>> see we need:
>>>

>> RDF/XML might reference to those IDs using relative IRIs, which would be
>> resolved to an absolute IRI according to the RDF/XML xml:base attribute
>> or the ODF resolution mechanism for relative URL already descriped in
>> chapter 17 of our ODF spec.
>
> Yes, something like this, except we need to discuss a meta matter on
> whether we can generate unique base-URIs for the documents.

I'm not sure if I did really understand what the issue is, but maybe the
following is helpful.

Section 17.5 currently says:

"A relative-path reference (as described in §6.5 of [RFC3987]) that
occurs in a file that is contained in a package has to be resolved
exactly as it would be resolved if the whole package gets unzipped into
a directory at its current location. The base IRI for resolving
relative-path references is the one that has to be used to retrieve the
(unzipped) file that contains the relative-path reference."

We may extend this by allowing the specification of a base IRI within
the package, and by adapting the above language. This could be something
along these lines:

"The base IRI of the document is the one specified by [the
manifest.xml], or the location of the package, if the manifest does not
specify a base IRI. A relative-path reference (as described in §6.5 of
[RFC3987]) that occurs in a file that is contained in a package has to
be resolved exactly as it would be resolved if the whole package gets
unzipped into a directory at the location specified by the base IRI."

This assigns unique base IRI to all fils of a package, but at the same
time does not break the resolution of relative IRIs for the purpose of
locating a file in the package.

Is this what you are looking for?

I hope this helps

Michael