Subject: Re: [office-metadata] summarizing recent suggestions

Hi Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Feb 28, 2007, at 4:04 AM, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
> Hamburg wrote:
>

>> What about calling the field just "text:meta", or "text:metadata", or
>> "text:metadata-label" (I think the term label was suggested by Bruce)?
>> If the name shall contain the term "field", then "text:meta-field"
>> would be an option.
>>
>> My personal favorite actually is "text:metadata" or
>> "text:metadata-label".
>
> I really have no strong opinion on this. I just chose the element names
> to have something concrete to discuss. Does anyone else have any
> opinions on the matter?

I also have no strong opinion on this. So just take this as some
suggestions, except that we should style with the "text" namespace for
consistency reasons.

>> "Typing" it somehow is a good idea. The concept we have for this
>> already is to use namespaced names (see for instance chart:class
>> attribute described in section 10.2):
>>
>> This would look like:

>> field:type="contact:Contact">foo</meta:field>
>>
>> For consistency reason I suggest that we reuse this concept, unless it
>> would be inconsistent with other metadata standards, or otherwise
>> inappropriate.
>
> I didn't realize ODF already supported using shortened names for
> attribute content.
>
> In any case, that's merely a shorthand, after all. http://ex.net/Contact
> == contact:Contact in your example. In that sense, we probably shouldn't
> care whether it's a full URI or a namespace-prefixed one?

Yes, it's some kind of shorthand. But is is the notation we are using
already, so I would prefer to stay with it, if there are no strong
reasons not to do so.

>> In any case, a solution that requires that all RDF/XML streams are
>> read to be able to update a field has the high risk that it introduces
>> performance issues. Office applications for instance for performance
>> reasons read images and embedded objects on demand only (that is, when
>> they are displayed or edited). We should allow a similar behavior for
>> metadata, too. A type plus maybe an IRI should allow that, but
>> probably is not the only solution to this problem.
>>
>>> My alternative would be sometning like:
>>> <field:field field:type="http://ex.net/Citation"; xml:id="0874801373">
>>>   <field:source>
>>>   </field:source>
>>>   <field:body>
>>>     (Doe, 1999: 23; Smith, 2004)
>>>   </field:body>
>>> </field:field>
>>> I think it's just a practical matter how much the field should
>>> contain to best enable document portability, including across file
>>> formats (say OOXML; which looks more like the above).
>>
>> It's an interesting idea. For other text fields, the field description
>> itself contains all data that describes what is displayed, but not the
>> value that is displayed. Your idea seems to go into that direction. On
>> the other hand, for metadata we assume that specialized implementation
>> provide that string that is displayed. The data that describes what is
>> displayed therefore is of value only for this specialized
>> implementation. I therefore could also image that we actually move it
>> to the RDF/XML streams that contain the actual metadata. The only
>> thing we have to make sure is that it is easy to actually locate that
>> data (see my comment above).
>
> The above is a generalization of the citation field, adapted for the new
> metadata support. It is also similar to how MS does this, BTW. What I
> encode in two meta:link elements, they encode in a single dumb attribute
> (which would be really ugly to process with XML tools, BTW).

Yes, I do understand that, and I have no objections to providing
additional information in the content. But since we have the option to
specify that as meta data, too, I would suggest that we look deeper into
that idea if we agreed on the remaining issues. BTW: Section 11.7
defines generic properties for form controls. Maybe we can reuse that.

>>> Yes, I left that out, but agree it should be in, and would support
>>> Elias' suggestion on the datatyping.
>>
>> ODF has already a (limited) type support for strings, doubles,
>> date/times and durations. See section 6.7.1. This support is based on
>> xsd datatypes and already provides a support for data styles. If we
>> add type support for metadata, I suggest that we define them based on
>> what we have already (the current metadata draft actually says so
>> already).
>
> Yes, makes sense. But do we need to add a plaintext type then?

I don't know. My concern is more about those data types, that usually
are not displayed literally, like dates and durations.

>> This would be different if we add metadata attributes to <text:span>
>> element. When doing so, we would alter the way <text:span> element are
>> used. For this reason (and only for this reason), I would prefer to
>> introduce a new element.
>
> So, for example, putting the attributes on table cells would be fine?

If it is reasonable from the metadata perspective that a table cell has
a "meta:about" and an "meta:property", and maybe also an
"meta:resource", and if these attributes must appear simultaneously,
then this would be okay for me. Where I would have concerns is if would
allow table cell elements that have only a "meta:about", and where we
assume nested elements take the "meta:property" attributes, because this
would cause issues when editing such documents with a WYSIWIG application.
> Bruce

Michael

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS