Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Export / Import of metadata

On Feb 28, 2007, at 12:58 PM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> We have the requirement:
> "Metadata must be able to be processed, extracted, removed and so
> forth independently of the document content."

Since I wrote that, I really meant "where the metadata is in fact
independent of the content."

> How do we fulfill the requirement of to extract/export metadata (which
> might be done using RDF/XML), when we have to differentiate the
> following use cases for RDFa:
>
>   1. RDFa refers to the literal from the concatenated text nodes
>   2. RDFa refers the XML subtree, which seems the default from RDF/XML
>      sight using 'XMLLiteral'
>   3. RDFa just gives information about the element it resides on - is
>      this a use case for RDFa?

As an example, it's really trivial to write an XSLT to convert all in
content statements to RDF/XML. That XSLT could just have a rule like:

	- if there is an explicit data-type attribute that indicates plain
text, then strip the nodes from the content and output
	- else transform to literal with XMLLiteral data-typing.

> This becomes important during export of the metadata. In my example
> above the whole text of the introduction would be exported as metadata
> literal, which was not my intention. As I see the text of the
> introduction as the content not as metadata. All I intended to export
> is the RDF statement classifying the paragraph, for example by xml:id.
>
> Would it appropriate to assume that RDFa always refers to the literal
> of all concatenated text nodes (case 1) , we do not support the XML
> subtree for now (case 2) and by xml:id reference we handle the element
> itself (case 3)? This would solve my problem above.

My answer: as above, we assume XML literal unless there's a data-type
that says otherwise, and treat accordingly.

Simple enough.