Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Thead summary (earlier: summarizing recent suggestions)

On Feb 28, 2007, at 3:03 PM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> 2)
> Instead of using meta:text-set, we allow the pair of attributes
> "rdf:about" & "rdf:property" on the same set of ODF elements, which
> were chosen already for the xml:id attribute.
> /2Clarify:
> The RDF object of a RDFa element is the literal from the concatenation
> of it's descending text nodes./

I'll leave this aside since I already commented on it.

> /2Clarify:
> Instead of the earlier suggested attribute "meta:impl" on the meta
> elements, we currently discuss an attribute to express the type of the
> element.
> It is meant as a hint for ODF applications to trigger the right
> plug-in, Bruce gave the example
> <field:field field:type="http://ex.net/Citation""; xml:id="0874801373">
> foo</meta:field>
>
> This seems to me like an IRI identifier for a ODF element being a RDF
> subject.
> To give a similiar hint for RDF streams a similar mechanism should be
> used for the meta manifest file.
> Therefore I propose that one stream might only have one type, but
> multiple streams can have the same type.

+1

> /3)
> An existing abbreviation mechanism in ODF /(Any link to spec?)/*/
> /*was proposed to be reused to shorten attribute values:
> field:type="contact:Contact">foo</meta:field>
>
> /2Clarify:
> Hereby the IRI will be replaced by a QName expression and a attribute
> resolving the namespace.
> This abbreviation makes even more sense, when the 'xmlns:contact'
> would be moved from the same element to the usual namespace
> declarations in the root element.
> By this we could save an enormous amount of space.
> Does RDF/XML allow a similar approach? It would ease XPATH / XSLT
> usage, if we could do so.//

Yes and no. Use of QNames is only in places where they are defined in
XML; namely on XML nodes rather than within content.

You cannot, for example, do:

<foo:bar rdf:resource="ex:blah"/>

The value "ex:blah" is just a string from the XML perspective.

That restriction does not apply to non-XML syntaxes such as N3, BTW.