Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Thead summary (earlier: summarizing recentsuggestions)

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2007, at 3:03 PM, Svante Schubert wrote:
>
>> /3)
>> An existing abbreviation mechanism in ODF /(Any link to spec?)/*/
>> /*was proposed to be reused to shorten attribute values:
>> field:type="contact:Contact">foo</meta:field>
>>
>> /2Clarify:
>> Hereby the IRI will be replaced by a QName expression and a attribute
>> resolving the namespace.
>> This abbreviation makes even more sense, when the 'xmlns:contact'
>> would be moved from the same element to the usual namespace
>> declarations in the root element.
>> By this we could save an enormous amount of space.
>> Does RDF/XML allow a similar approach? It would ease XPATH / XSLT
>> usage, if we could do so.//
>
> Yes and no. Use of QNames is only in places where they are defined in
> XML; namely on XML nodes rather than within content.
>
> You cannot, for example, do:
>
> <foo:bar rdf:resource="ex:blah"/>
>
> The value "ex:blah" is just a string from the XML perspective.
>
> That restriction does not apply to non-XML syntaxes such as N3, BTW.

My (maybe wrong) understanding is that the type is not of interest for
any metadata implementations, but provides only hints to the office
application which plug-in may be applicable to certain metadata. If this
understanding is correct, then it should not matter whether we use
QNames or IRI, because they never will be included in any RDF models.
QNames are used already in other places in ODF and may save some spaces.
This may be a reason to use them, just to be consistent with what we do
in ODF so far. But I'm personally also fine with using IRIs if someone
names the advantages this has.

Michael

> Bruce

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org