Subject: Re: [office-metadata] "Logical/abstract" vs. "physical" representation

On Mar 5, 2007, at 9:53 AM, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
Hamburg wrote:

> Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>> I guess the only point of debate here would be that the "or
>> location of the package" option might be too fragile to be useful,
>> breaking object-subject references whenever a file path changes.
>> E.g. we might require a URI for the document. Such a requirement
>> would only attach to 1.2 compliant applications I guess (ones that
>> support the basics of the new metadata system), which would not be
>> onerous.
>
> To be honest, I don't know whether one should really require that
> all documents get a base IRI different than the document location.
> I suggest we again leave it up the the implementations to provide
> such a base IRI when required.

The point is, for the metadata system, they are *always* required if
we want things to work reliably.

And we better well specify that the document/base URI needs to be
stable (which file paths are typically not) and globally unique, and
give developers some suggested options.

That wouldn't preclude them using a file path as the document URI,
but they would know why it's a bad idea at least.