Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Atom and document/feed IRIs

Svante,

Svante Schubert wrote:

> Patrick Durusau wrote:
>
>> I remember in the newsgroup days that all messages had unique IDs
>> (well, sort of, they were actually recycled after several years)
>> which is how they did threading.
>>
>> I am definitely leaning towards the IRI approach, mostly because it
>> makes the subject stable.
>
> If we find in a RDF/XML an IRI, how do we know that it is describing
> an ODF element in our own package and not something else somewhere
> else in the world?
> How is the connection to the ODF element in the document being made?
>
> On first sight it seemed to me easier to put generated IRI on every
> ODF element,

Hmmm, would you autogenerate on the off chance that I might want to
attach metadata do an ODF element?

> on the second I prefer again the xml:id approach, as one element in
> one certain document is being described.
> If the document is renamed, moved, transformed to another data
> representation or copied, the metadata always describes the new entity
> of element in the ODF document, so the subject naturally changes as
> well. It rather improves consistency as the subject should represent
> an unique entity (odf element), otherwise owl:sameAs should be used.

Sorry, that went by a little fast.

I thought we were talking about assigning IRIs to identify documents?
Rather than path statements.

Seems like you are talking about another issue. Yes?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau