Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Atom and document/feed IRIs

On 07/03/2007 14:53, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2007, at 9:40 AM, Svante Schubert wrote:
>> Regarding unique identification of ODF documents, generating hash
>> value appear more consistent instead of IRIs.
>> Would it not make more sense for us to use an IRI given from an RDF
>> application, like a Invoice IRI?
>
> No. The whole point of giving a document a URI -- whether in RDF or in
> Atom or whatever -- is to be able to identify it.
>
>> I say, leave the identification to the RDF application, which can
>> clarify what makes an ODF document unique in their eyes.
>
> It's not just RDF applications that can benefit from stable and unique IDs.

I agree here. It's pretty important for the document to be uniquely
identified and for that identifier to be consistent no matter what
application is using it. The identifier should be something that is
carried with the document and doesn't depend on its file location or
persistent state.

Ian

P.S. Brief intro since this is my first post here: I work in the
development group at Talis, a UK library systems provider. I have a long
history of RDF implementation experience have written an RDF framework
in .NET and am now responsible for deploying a large scale semweb
platform. I blog at http://iandavis.com/blog