Subject: Re: [office-metadata] clarifying fields and metadata

On Mar 13, 2007, at 2:59 AM, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
Hamburg wrote:

> In general, yes, but I think two things are missing here:
> 1. One or more attributes that further describe how the label is
> composed, so that you can actually get different labels for the same
> subject (for instance the first name and the family name separately).
> These attributes actually would not have any meaning for the RDF data,
> and also not for the office application, but only for the component
> that
> maintains the label. It could be for instance a "text:label" attribute
> that takes an IRI. I could also imagine to call it "text:property" (or
> meta:property). The component than could check if the attribute
> describes a valid property, and if so, display that. And if is not a
> valid property, then it could interpret the value as some kind of
> "virtual" property that shall be displayed.

This would be optional, yes? I could imagine it wouldn't be needed in
many cases.

In any case, I would discourage reusing meta:property in that
circumstance.

> 2. One or more attributes (or some other mechanism) that allows the
> office application to efficiently select the right component that
> maintains the label.

Right.

> And as mentioned already some time ago: The field really should be
> from the text namespace.

Yes, I think meta:label should in fact be text:field.

>> But we're missing something which is really a sort of hybrid
>> situation: in content metadata which may be field-like. From one of
>> our (medical) use cases:
>>         meta:about="http://ex.net/contacts/1";
>>         meta:property="http://medical.org/patient";
>>         meta:resource="http://ex.net/contacts/2";>Jane Doe</meta:label>
>> This would generate a triple of course:
>>         <http://ex.net/contacts/1> <http://medical.org/patient>
>> <http://ex.net/contacts/2> .
>> So my question is really how we define #2 formally in ODF?
>
> Why not in the way your example suggest? The attributes describe the
> triple, but the content of the field is just a label. Well, because of
> the different semantics, you may want to call the field differently.

I just mean, how do we define this field in the RELAX NG such that both
use cases are supported? Or do we agree we need both?