Subject: Re: [office-metadata] clarifying fields and metadata

On Mar 13, 2007, at 8:36 AM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> I assume that "Jane Doe" is the patient, who is described as
> "http://ex.net/contacts/2";.
> Why not say the following:
>
>    <text:meta-label
>        meta:about="http://ex.net/contacts/2";
>        meta:property="ex:salutation">Dear Jane Doe</text:meta-label>

That's different though. Here I presume you mean by meta:property
essentially a display property. I'd expect that in many cases, that
would be up to implementations to define, and it wouldn't be needed.
I'd say we want an optional attribute called text:display-property.

In any case, my example was the medical use case, where a doctor is
adding triples to their content.

> and moving the triple
> <http://ex.net/contacts/1> <http://medical.org/patient>
> <http://ex.net/contacts/2> .
> into RDF/XML?

This is an interesting question indeed.

> IMHO by giving the label a RDF predicate describing the label the need
> of the meta:resource is no longer given and the usage of less
> attributes makes it easier for the user.

It definitely doesn't make it "easier for the user", as in each case
they want to make the same statement. From a UI standpoint it shouldn't
make any difference really.

I think if it makes it easier for anyone, it's us!

OK, let me propose a strawman for people to consider:

text-meta-label = element text:meta-label { text-meta-label-attlist,
generic-odf-text }

# if property/resource are present, triple is defined in content
text-meta-label-attlist = meta-about, ( meta-property, meta-resource )?

As Michael said, we also need the two other attributes.

The question is whether we allow the statements in content, or whether
we require them be stored in the RDF/XML and explicitly say in the
proposal something about Svante's idea of "moving the triples".