Subject: Re: [office-metadata] clarifying fields and metadata

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2007, at 10:33 AM, Elias Torres wrote:
>
>> I like this. Question: and we need text:meta-label because of the
>> read-only
>> nature? If so, why not use text:field?
>
> Yeah, my question as well. It gets to the strategic vision of this
> proposal, really. WRT to my other note, would we use this to support
> conversion from OOXML structured fields, for example? If yes, should
> we make clear that these are "fields"?
In the mail before I stated:
"We might have called the element text:meta-field if this name would not
already make assumptions about the implementation. Furthermore, usually
in ODF the element name describes the content."
Didn't we went away from the name field, as the implementation was too
constraint?

Just a note regarding OOXML conversions although it is not on our agenda.
Whenever Sun will implement features supported by MS Office for
OpenOffice.org that are not supported by ODF, we will propose an
appropriate extension to ODF.
We would rather introduce new ODF elements/attributes instead of using
metadata as it is rather an Office extension not metadata about the
document.
Even for the case metadata is being used, the ODF specification would
define the metadata itself (instead of a new element or attribute).

This is in general a topic for the TC, therefore I would suggest to
stick on our SC goals, we have little time left.