Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Binding proposal

On Mar 19, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> Nevertheless to aid above scenarios of controlled work-flows, it still
> seems useful to specify in the meta manifest two attributes for a
> document ID and revision.

Right, I just want to emphasize we agree on this.

> I would not request UUID as uniqueness is known to be fragile.

Do you have a source for this claim? AFAIK, the UUID scheme is widely
implemented in software, and is quite reliable. MS uses it, as but one
example.

> I would rather suggest any IRI for the ID as they are easier to create
> from the scratch and can be used to reference to further information
> and an integer for the reversion. Aside of this even the introduction
> of a base URL makes sense.

This is an interesting design question. What happens if an organization
has a URI scheme it wants to use to identify documents?

I always had this in mind, and to default to a URN UUID. But I'm not
sure how that squares with the versioning problem.