Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Binding proposal

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>> I would not request UUID as uniqueness is known to be fragile.
> Do you have a source for this claim? AFAIK, the UUID scheme is widely
> implemented in software, and is quite reliable. MS uses it, as but one
> example.
UUID in the context of a document, to express the uniqueness off a
document is fragile, when the document can simply be copied and the UUID
is no longer unique.
UUID in the context of software interface is a nice thing. There is no
interface copy command in software environments.

>> I would rather suggest any IRI for the ID as they are easier to
>> create from the scratch and can be used to reference to further
>> information and an integer for the reversion. Aside of this even the
>> introduction of a base URL makes sense.
>
> This is an interesting design question. What happens if an
> organization has a URI scheme it wants to use to identify documents?
>
> I always had this in mind, and to default to a URN UUID. But I'm not
> sure how that squares with the versioning problem.
This was my scenario of a workflow. If a group of companies is
exchanging ODF documents and using custom URI schema it is fine as it is
a closed environment with defined processes.