Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Binding proposal

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

>>> Do you have a source for this claim? AFAIK, the UUID scheme is
>>> widely implemented in software, and is quite reliable. MS uses it,
>>> as but one example.
>> UUID in the context of a document, to express the uniqueness off a
>> document is fragile, when the document can simply be copied and the
>> UUID is no longer unique.
>> UUID in the context of software interface is a nice thing. There is
>> no interface copy command in software environments.
>
> But you're not solving the problem: you're avoiding it. Using "odf:.."
> as you propose is functionally the same as using "file:///..."
The odf: would only refer into the same ODF package, it is not relative
to the document location, by this different to file://

Bruce, maybe we should not try to solve the problem of document
identification in the document as there are risks we can not control:
Some XSLT / webapplication / ODF application might not exchange the
revision ID, but the document.
Why should we burden the identification effort to an ODF application,
when in the end a guaranteed identification would be made from the outside?

What do we really gain? The UUID tells nothing about the document type
nor the location. Whenever we analyze the metadata of a document, I am
sure we would rather have a link to the document or could use some more
verbose identification mechanism as sender/time/etc.

Is the introduced complexity really worth it's gain?