Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Binding proposal

On Mar 21, 2007, at 4:29 AM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> The only problem areas we have identified are situations where users
> either a) do a copy and then edit those files independently, adding
> metadata statements to each of those changed sections, and b) creates
> a "new" document that is not really new, but based on an existing
> document.

Question: what do you do with current document metadata in case b?
Leave it to the user to edit it?

I guess I imagine two simple fields. The first is for the "document id"
and is a UUID. It is non-editable by default, but has a "create new"
button the user may choose. Upon clicking button, user gets a prompt
"are you sure you want to do this ...?"

The other field is a URI, which is by default the urn:uuid based on the
UUId. But the field would have an "edit" button which may be edited to
use a user-defined URI.

Alternately, you could just have a single URI field that mixes the two.

So in the same way a user has to change the metadata title and so forth
in case b, they need to adjust the identifier(s).

Anyway, not sure if you'll be at the call today, but we obviously ought
to settle this then.