Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Binding proposal

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2007, at 4:29 AM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>
>> The only problem areas we have identified are situations where users
>> either a) do a copy and then edit those files independently, adding
>> metadata statements to each of those changed sections, and b) creates
>> a "new" document that is not really new, but based on an existing
>> document.
>
> Question: what do you do with current document metadata in case b? Leave
> it to the user to edit it?
>
> I guess I imagine two simple fields. The first is for the "document id"
> and is a UUID. It is non-editable by default, but has a "create new"
> button the user may choose. Upon clicking button, user gets a prompt
> "are you sure you want to do this ...?"

What do you mean with "simple fields"? Text fields that appear in the
document? Or something within the UI of the application.

Let's assume you are a user that does not know anything about metadata,
and you open a document to edit it, and you get this question because
the document contains bibliographic data. How do you answer that question?

To be not misunderstood: I really do appreciate it that the SC cares
about the identification issue, and I'm absolutely not against adding
identification feature for the metadata experienced user. But if it does
not work correctly out-of-the-box and with no user-interaction for the
average user, then I think we should make this an optional feature for
the expert user only.

Michael

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer