Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Binding proposal

Hi Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2007, at 7:22 AM, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
> Hamburg wrote:
>
>> Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>>> Question: what do you do with current document metadata in case b?
>>> Leave it to the user to edit it?
>>> I guess I imagine two simple fields. The first is for the "document
>>> id" and is a UUID. It is non-editable by default, but has a "create
>>> new" button the user may choose. Upon clicking button, user gets a
>>> prompt "are you sure you want to do this ...?"
>>
>> What do you mean with "simple fields"? Text fields that appear in the
>> document? Or something within the UI of the application.
>
> The latter; in the "metadata" UI for the document.

What is the Meta data/UI for the document. Something like
"File/Properties" in OOo (or the counterpart in KOffice) where you can
add an title and things like that? How often do you call that dialog and
enter information?

>> Let's assume you are a user that does not know anything about
>> metadata, and you open a document to edit it, and you get this
>> question because the document contains bibliographic data. How do you
>> answer that question?
>
> I think any user is familiar with the notion of an id. So it would mean
> language that would put it in those terms. Imagine they click the
> "create new" button for the UUID and they see a dialog like:

Where is this button and why should someone click it if everything works
without doing so?

Having that said: Yes, one can add all these things for experienced
users, but the average user will not use it unless you design the UI in
a way that she or he has to use it. And if you do so, they will ask the
product developers to add a "Never show this dialog again" button. And
the product developers will add it because they don't want to loose
their customers.

I know, these are hard words:-) And I still do not say them to stop you
from discussing a global id, but to give you an impression how difficult
it will be create a user interface that will be accepted. And of cause
to say that this will be much easier if the global id is optional:-)

Michael

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer