Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Namespaces

I also think its nothing we have to worry about at the moment, but the
options we will have depend on what schema we are talking about:

If we talk about a new schema, or RDF predicates:
- I think its reasonable to define a new namespace, and to do that
according the new OASIS rules, that is, as http URIs.

If we talk about extensions to the ODF schema itself:
- The first question will be whether we need a new namespace at all, if
there is already a meta namespace which way may extend (we extend the
other namespace we have, too).
- If we decide to have a new namespace, then the question will be: Do we
want a consistent (but not-up-to-date and not HTTP) naming schema for
all namespaces the schema defines itself. Or is it okay for us to add a
namepsace whose naming schema differs from the namespaces we have
already, but follows the latest OASIS rules and is an HTTP URI.

Changing the namespace IRI for ODF 1.2 in general seems not be an
option, since this breaks the compatibility with ODF 1.2 documents
entirely. But I think this has been never proposed.

Michael

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2007, at 9:26 AM, Svante Schubert wrote:
>
>> For me this is just a naming issue, I would suggest to postpone this
>> issue beyond the ODF related RDF vocabulary and the new metadata
>> element discussion.
>
> Right, it's not something to worry about too much. Maybe later we
> deprecate the existing meta prefix and reassign the new one to it. But
> it's a detail that's unimportant, aside from that we want a good HTTP
> URI that we can hang some documentation off.
>
> Bruce

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

        D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer