Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Fields question

On Mar 30, 2007, at 9:40 AM, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
Hamburg wrote:

>> That is that a field per se really has no semantics.
>
> I'm not sure. The fields that we have already in ODF specify what
> content is supplied, for instance the current date, the author of a
> document, the value of a variable, or the value of a "field" in a
> database table.

Correct. There are semantics in existing ODF fields, but ODF has no
generic fields, which is what this metadata field is. But ...

> The new metadata is somehow different, because here the ODF
> specification itself will not specify what the content will be. So I
> think it would be okay to say that it per se has no semantics.

... we can still identify the general semantics. For example, we could
say:

The metadata field contains one or more references to resource
descriptions, and may contain optional parameters as namespaced
attributes. The target object shall be represented as an IRI.

It's simple, and it's clear.

That's my preference, irrespective of specific encoding suggestions.