Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Two questions regarding the latest draft..

Hi Bruce!

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2007, at 3:46 PM, Svante Schubert wrote:
>
>>   1. The root element of the metadata manifest <mm:Manifest> has two
>>      attributes rdf:about and odf:baseID. Their value seem quite
>>      similar to me, is odf:base still necessary?
>
> My hunch is no, but wonder what the RDF guys (Elias, Dan, Ian) think?
> The only value of it would be if we defined it as UUID it seems to me.
Indeed, this should be discussed by our RDF guys!

> 2) when you are talking about RDF structures, please remove the XML
> language of "attribute" and "element" from the text, and replace with
> "property."
This section was mocking me as well, I think your approach will make it
easier to understand.
The attribute/element usage still came from the manifest description
overtaken from the original spec.
(fixed - taking over your changes, wording might be enhanced tomorrow)

> 3) This is a mess:
>
> <rdf:Description
> rdf:about='urn:uuid:224ab023-77b8-4396-a75a-8cecd85b81e3'>
>     <rdf:type
> rdf:resource="xmlns:odf="http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/2007/03/meta/opendocument#Element"/>
>
>     <ex:editor>
>         <rdf:Description>
>             <vCard:fullName>Robert Louis Stevenson</vCard:fullName>
>         </rdf:Description>
>     </ex:editor>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> The first problem is that the URI does not correspond to the URI on
> the binding above it. It's confusing as a result.
Yes, indeed a copy/paste error. (fixed)

> Second, try this instead for the editor property:
>
>     <ex:editor rdf:parseType="Resource">
>       <vcard:fn>Robert Louis Stevenson</vcard:fn>
>     </ex:editor>
Thanks, I like it!
Just exchanged vcard:fn with vCard:FN as used in
http://www.w3.org/TR/vcard-rdf
(fixed)

> Finally, I'm not sure the type is relevant (seems redundant given the
> binding) or correct there, and in the other places it's used? Elias et
> al might want to check.
>
> This example is definitely wrong, though ...
>
>     <rdf:type
> rdf:resource="http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/2007/03/meta/rdf#element"/>
>

> ... and should be:
>
>     <rdf:type
> rdf:resource="http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/2007/03/meta/rdf#Element"/>
>

> Remember: convention is that types are capitalized, properties lower
> case.
Agreed! (fixed)

> This brings me to another question: why is the "rdf" in the namespace?
Namespaces should be changed in this example! (fixed)

> Finally, text:meta-field still needs fixing of course. ***We can't
> call ourselves done until this is resolved***
>
> I've attached my edited file.
Great! Thanks for helping out. I am happy with every change you made
aside of the one in chapter 1.2.
But I am glad if it is only the wording of chapter 1.2 that needs
discussion.

You suggested: "In-content metadata can be used to assign an RDF
property to literal content."
I fear we might need to enhance even this a little more as the RDF
property is similar to the RDF predicate and the literal content is the
RDF object, that misses the mentioning of the RDF subject, which always
has to be specified as well by m:about in the element.

(kept your change-tracking here)

But I will sleep it over and before I come up with a better suggestion.

Thank you for the review, Bruce!