Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Linking in a vocabulary

Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On May 4, 2007, at 10:42 AM, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>
>> In other words, what if I have two separate vocabularies, one for
>> Cato (the elder) and Cato (the younger). In the context of a
>> scholarly article about Cato (the elder), if I don't do anything,
>> that is the triple(s) that should apply to any mention of "Cato."
>> But, from time to time, I want to mention Cato (the younger) and
>> that should draw metadata from a second vocabulary, perhaps the OCD
>> (Oxford Classical Dictionary), which Bruce has kindly encoded in
>> RDF. ;-)
>

> What about using tagging of sorts?
>
> Say you have a paragraph:
>
> <text:p xml:id="para-1">...</text:p>
>
> You have some resource description for some Joseph:
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://ex.net/people/Joseph-1";>
>   <dc:description xml:lang="en">Some guy that lived somewhere in the
> 1st century BC.</dc:description>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> So the question is how to associate the latter with the former.
>
> Maybe just use a tag approach?
>
> <x:Tag rdf:about="[some-uri]">
>   <x:references rdf:resource="[some-uri-that-gets-bound-to-para-id]"/>
> </x:Tag>
>
> I dunno; just an idea.

Sure, that would work but recall that I have a general vocabulary that I
want to have apply to the document as a whole. In other words, if I
don't say anything, then metadata X is applied to term Y wherever it
appears. Without having to insert markup every place where it appears.

The reason for wanting that ability it to make it easier for authors to
associate a metadata vocabulary with an entire document without having
to tag ever term. That could get to be tedious and I rather doubt many
authors would do it.

If on the other hand, I could set my document defaults to say include an
RDF vocabulary for RDF, for example, then every search engine that
searches my document "knows" what I meant by terms in the document, even
if I did not "tag" them.

But, if I do "tag" something, I want that specific metadata and not the
default metadata to be applied to it.

The goal is to have an easy on ramp for people adding metadata. The
easier the better. Requiring users to only tag/mark the exceptional
cases seems like a step in the right direction to me.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau