Subject: Re: [office-metadata] m:data-value / m:data-type only on anonymous RDF node?

I agree this is confusing.

It may be clarifying to consider the implementation in the RDFa
specification.

In RDFa, they actually have two different versions of the one
attribute that we call "property".

If the "property" has an object that is something other than a URI,
then RDFa uses the attribute "property".
If the "property" has an object that is a URI, then RDFa uses the
attribute "rel".

So RDFa would represent the following two triples:

	ex:aDocument dc:author "Svante Schubert"^^rdf:XMLLiteral
as      <element about="ex:aDocument" property="dc:author">Svante
Schubert</element>

		whereas

	ex:aDocument rdf:type	ex:ChangeProposal	as <element
about'"ex:aDocument" rel:"rdf:type" href="ex:ChangeProposal"/>

When using "property", RDFa does give the option to override the
default datatyping of a string (by default as rdf:XMLLiteral) by use
of a "datatype" attribute:

	ex:aDocument dc:date "20070101"^^xsd:Date       would be
<element about="ex:aDocument property="dc:date"
datatype="xsd:Date>20070101</element>

So..........conclusion:

  I think that we may be trying to do the same thing here---specify
some metadata about the OBJECT of the triple.

However, since we only have the m:property element, we need to
consider three cases:

	(1) the object is a URI
	(2) the object is a typed literal
	(3) the object is an "untyped" literal, i.e. an rdf:XMLLiteral (or
perhaps, if we like, an rdf:literal, or even an xsd:string --whatever
we define as our "default).

Any parser that parses ODF in-content metadata is going to have to
decide which of these three cases obtains, in order to parse the
metadata properly.

John