Subject: Re: [office-metadata] m:data-value / m:data-type only on anonymous RDFnode?

John F. Madden, MD, PhD wrote:
> I agree this is confusing.
>
> It may be clarifying to consider the implementation in the RDFa
> specification.
>
> In RDFa, they actually have two different versions of the one
> attribute that we call "property".
>
> If the "property" has an object that is something other than a URI,
> then RDFa uses the attribute "property".
> If the "property" has an object that is a URI, then RDFa uses the
> attribute "rel".
In RDFa they have no other opportunity as to describe all RDF statements
in content.
In the OpenDocument format I favor to keep as much metadata in the
metadata files.

If I remember correctly was the original idea about
m:data-type/m:data-value in the content that the RDF literal being
expressed by m:about and m:property might need further rdf statements as
it is hardly  referable from the RDF/XML file.

> So RDFa would represent the following two triples:
>
>     ex:aDocument dc:author "Svante Schubert"^^rdf:XMLLiteral
> as      <element about="ex:aDocument" property="dc:author">Svante
> Schubert</element>
>
>         whereas
>
>     ex:aDocument rdf:type    ex:ChangeProposal    as <element
> about'"ex:aDocument" rel:"rdf:type" href="ex:ChangeProposal"/>
>

> When using "property", RDFa does give the option to override the
> default datatyping of a string (by default as rdf:XMLLiteral) by use
> of a "datatype" attribute:
>
>     ex:aDocument dc:date "20070101"^^xsd:Date       would be
> <element about="ex:aDocument property="dc:date"
> datatype="xsd:Date>20070101</element>
>

> So..........conclusion:
>
>  I think that we may be trying to do the same thing here---specify
> some metadata about the OBJECT of the triple.
>
> However, since we only have the m:property element, we need to
> consider three cases:
>
>     (1) the object is a URI
Is there a benefit, when not keeping these kind of statements in RDF/XML?
>     (2) the object is a typed literal
How is the object literal being typed? When the literal can never be the
subject? (Aside of the following notation: 20070101"^^xsd:Date)
>     (3) the object is an "untyped" literal, i.e. an rdf:XMLLiteral (or
> perhaps, if we like, an rdf:literal, or even an xsd:string --whatever
> we define as our "default).
For me a string as default seems fine.