Subject: Fwd: [office-metadata] RDF datatypes

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Madden <john.madden@mac.com>
Date: May 10, 2007 1:09:21 PM EDT
To: Svante Schubert <Svante.Schubert@Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: [office-metadata] RDF datatypes

I think Elias and Svante have this right now. I think the idea of generating additional blank nodes was just a thought experiment, and it clarified the issues.

One thing Svante. I want to make sure the following would be allowed:

[1] <ex:foo about="ex:solarSystem" property="numberOfPlanets" m:data-type="xsd:integer">9</ex:foo>

just as it would be allowed, but not be *required* to have:

[2] <ex:foo about="ex:solarSystem" property="numberOfPlanets" m:data-type="xsd:integer" m:data-value="9">9</ex:foo>

or

[3] <ex:foo about="ex:solarSystem" property="numberOfPlanets" m:data-type="xsd:integer" m:data-value="9">nine</ex:foo>

In other words, m:data-value is not *required*, and can be sensibly omitted if the string content child of the element in the DOM is a literal with a typed value in the domain of the datatype.

And in this case:

[4] <ex:foo about="ex:solarSystem" property="numberOfPlanets" m:data-type="xsd:integer">baloney sandwich</ex:foo>

then we have some kind of error condition that we deal with in some way (yet to be defined)--probably similar to the way we would deal with:

[5] <ex:foo about="ex:solarSystem" property="numberOfPlanets" m:data-type="xsd:integer" m:data-value="baloney sandwich">9</ex:foo>

John