Subject: Re: [office-metadata] meta-field and more...

On May 10, 2007, at 2:39 PM, Svante Schubert wrote:

> The ability to be read-only is already quite application specific.
>
> Patrick mentioned two nice arguments to keep the definition to be
> created based on Metadata and not write protect the element:
> 1) What if the user would like to tweak the generated content before
> he prints it?

Can we avoid the gendered language please? You can use the neutral
"they print it" in this context.

Beyond that, fields are always effectively read-only, even if
applications sometimes allow what you ask about. The field content is,
after all, often dynamically re-generated, which is why they are
read-only by default.

> 2) There is a certain user expectation that elements that had been
> generated are marked. But of course the plugin might even create other
> elements (e.g. a table).

I'm not sure this supports either position really?