Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Groups - Metadata_Model_Proposal_10May2007 (07-05-10-ODF-Metadaten_pld.odt) uploaded

On May 11, 2007, at 10:07 AM, marbux wrote:

> The fundamental issue raised by the XML Unique IDs proposal is whether
> conformant applications will be required to preserve RDF metadata
> inserted by other applications, including XML Unique IDs.

We have talked about some of this previously, but we should clarify
the details with the TC.

Preserving xml:ids per se -- both the attribute and its value -- is
not per se important because of the binding abstraction we use. What
is critical is that metadata files be preserved (including
manifest.rdf) and that the binding between xml:ids and IRIs also be
preserved and maintained.

[for background, it is possible that an implementation will decide to
rewrite xml:id values at times; that's fine so long as they update
the binding too; deleting xml:id attributes would be bad though,
because the bindings would break]

But as Michael pointed out, there are some tricky details. What
happens if a user deletes content with some metadata fields. Do we
require the ODF application to preserve the original field metadata?
I sure hope not.

So the question is how to write this into the spec as precisely as
possible, and we have tried to do that. But it's definitely something
the engineers on this committee should pay close attention to, and
make sure we cover it once it gets to the TC for discussion (very
soon hopefully!).