Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Re: preserving metadata (was deadlines?)

Hello,

marbux wrote:

> On 5/16/07, Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote:
>
>> Actually "may" is defined in 1.2 Notation.
>

> Oops. I missed that because I did a document search for XML 1.0 or RFC
> 2119. in the current ODF 1.2 draft. Any idea why the definitions
> incorporated in ODF changed from RFC 2119 in ODF 1.0 to ISO/IEC
> Directives Annex H in ODF 1.1? I'm guessing that it was an editorial
> change requested in the ISO review process. Because of the ISO
> requirement that those definitions be used (at least my hasty look
> says that the Annex requires the ISO definitions to be used ). If so,
> we've apparently got a rat's nest of a conflict between ISO
> requirements and XML 1.0 requirements.

I don't think there is a problem.

The XML standard *does not* require that any specification based upon it
to use RDC 2119 definitions.

Those are cited solely for the purpose of interpretation of XML 1.0 (or
any other standard that cites them).

I suppose it is theoretically possible for a standard to demand the use
of particular definitions in some standard based upon it but I haven't
ever seen such a case. It may well exist but I would be surprised.

Now a standard, such as XML 1.0, can require that a standard relying
upon it use its definition of its own terms, such as element, attribute,
etc., but those are terms the standard itself defines.

Does that help?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--