Subject: Re: [office-metadata] question for Elias on rdf:type/odf:type

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 05/17/2007 05:10:31 AM:

> Elias,
>
> Elias Torres wrote:
>
> >I had not seen that. Where will this be used? In the manifest? If so, we
> >don't need odf:type, we need to use rdf:type, much preferred.
> >

> Under 1.1.1 Declaration of Metadata Files in the Metadata Manifest, File
> Types, where it reads:
>
> ***
>
> One or more <odf:type> property elements specify the metadata type of a
> metadata file. The property may be used to relate a metadata file to an
> RDF application.
>
> ***
>
> And under OpenDocument Elements, where it reads:
>
> ***
>
> The <odf:Element> element can be bound to a metadata file by the
> odf:belongsTo property attribute. The odf:belongsTo property attribute
> value is the IRI of a named RDF graph.
>
> ***
>
> The purpose as I understand it was to assist applications in associating
> an RDF application with particular metadata.
>
> BTW, this has been discussed and you took the position that we should
> specify less rather than more and to allow implementation experience to
> decide how that should be accomplished.

Discussed or agreed upon? I looked through the minutes and did not see
anything about this. I repeat, I do not like working on this, if a new
specification feature/paragraph/etc that has not received consensus from
the group and the only two involved parties discussing it are in clear
disagreement. Then, if the one who decides, does just because he's the
editor, I'm quite dissatisfied with the approach. This is something I
clearly remember asking during the call when we decided editors and what
their role and authority was over the spec and the response I received was
not what's happening today. If the editors have total control, I don't want
to be a part of this. I know this may sound a bit too precipitated
especially now that we are 90% of the way, but I want to express this
anyway, even though it will be completely ignored, given the current wave
of actions.

-Elias