Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Microsoft's Doug Mahugh on custom metadata

If you back up and ask, what functionality is actually provided, it comes down to this:

1) User can enter text into a field in their document
2) Text is mapped via XPath into an XML document defined by a custom schema
3) Said document is stored in the Zip file

Of course, any program out there that needs to get to this XML document will need to have custom code added to it to read and unzip the archive, and navigate the OPC conventions to find the XML file of interest.

You could accomplish the same benefits is several other ways.  In fact I'd be concerned about doing it exactly the way MS has done it because they've been busy filing file patent applications in this area.

Another way of doing this would be via the XForms support in OpenOffic, where today you can create fields, map them via XPath to a custom schema, and then submit the XML document.  The only thing that is lacking is the ability to have the target of the submission be the Zip archive itself (rather than a remote POST) and have this be triggered on document save.  I think an ODF application could do both of these within what is allowed by ODF 1.0.

In fact I wonder why Microsoft did not use XForms for this?  It seems to be the natural fit -- binding controls to a data model that maps into a specified XML schema.  It also expands to allow specification of constraints, etc.

-Rob