Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Groups - Metadata_Model_Proposal_23May2007 (07-05-23-ODF-Metadaten.odt) uploaded

Bruce,

Good you told me that, and I'm sorry I'm not entirely up to speed on this.

So would text:bookmark be the ODF equivalent of an xhtml:span?

Could you guys just send me a quickie example of what you figure the best practice is for creating a hook inside of text to hang an xml:id onto?

I have a little problem with ODF bookmarks, because using OpenOffice as an experimental platform, I get this:

<text:p text:style-name="Standard">
this is a length of otherwise un-marked-up text, but I want a
<text:bookmark-start text:name="hookMark"/>hook<text:bookmark-end text:name="hookMark"/>
to hang an xml:id on the word “hook”.
</text:p>

This highlights that bookmarks in ODF don't work like <xhtml:span>yadda-yadda</xhtml:span> elements, but instead there is a <text:bookmark-start/> and <text:bookmark-end/>

Do if I want to assert some metadata about the word "hook" at this place in the document I have a little issue, namely:

This seems a little problematic from the point of view of using them as a way of referencing into text, because now my xml:id would normally be taken by your plain-vanilla xml parsers to refer to just the text:bookmark-start element, rather than to the piece of the document that includes the word "hook".

Solutions?

John