Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Groups - Metadata_Model_Proposal_23May2007 (07-05-23-ODF-Metadaten.odt) uploaded

Hi Svante,

> We could make it more explicit by adding the case where the content
> between the text:bookmark-start and text:bookmark-end is meant.

I'm very happy with <text:meta> for my purposes.

w.r.t. the case of <bookmark-start/end>, mentioning the intended
meaning in the propoal document might be a good idea. I'd favor
mentioning it BUT leaving it explicitly as an issue for further work.

This is because there is existing rdf tooling out there that
understands the XML-DOM, but might find it difficult to pull out
fragments of an xml document that are unions of multiple DOM elements
in different DOM branches. Whereas of course, <bookmark-start/end>
was explicitly designed facilitate selections that cross DOM branch
boundaries.

So making is a "MUST" part of the spec in terms of parsing support
might make some existing rdf tools break; From the point of view of
general-purpose rdf tools, it might well be seen as a possibly
problematic ODF-specific implementation requirement.

So while I do agree that bookmarks absolutely need to be able to
carry xml:id, what the implementation requirements are on rdf parsers
is something we will need to noodle out, perhaps providing some
"fallbacks" for non-ODF-aware parsers. I think this is do-able, but
maybe not in the next week.

> A further issue is that currently even an empty text:bookmark
> element is allowed to use the in content metadata. It makes no
> sense to allow a m:data-value when there is no content.

Here, I actually do NOT see this as a problem at all. I can easily
imagine someone wanting to attach metadata to a point-location in a
document. Or even more simply, I can see someone who is using the in-
content markup model just wanting an arbitrary spot in content.xml to
hang a free-standing triple off of.

In RDFa, they do explicitly support the use of "empty" xhtml:meta
elements for precisely this purpose.

John