Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Suggested Changes on the Metadata proposal

Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> On 6/26/07, Svante Schubert <Svante.Schubert@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> V) Removal of odf:mimeType
>> Property would be redundant to MIME information of original manifest
>
> I disagree with this. Whether the data is redundant is a minor issue
> compared to the additional processing complexity involved in metadata
> aware applications having to read two manifest files (one RDF and one
> not) just to figure out basic information.

I agree. Redundant data just isn't enough of a problem to impose an
additional burden on RDF aware applications. Particularly since we are
only talking about a trivial amount of data. If it were the entire file
I might feel differently. ;-)

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

PS: Actually a really clever future version of OO could read the current
manifest and convert it into the new one with appropriate RDF.  While
leaving the old one in place for older ODF based applications.

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net