Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Suggested Changes on the Metadata proposal

On Jun 29, 2007, at 10:06 AM, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
Hamburg wrote:

> 1. We have to make sure that the language we are choosing is precise,
> and permits reasonable edit operations on documents. Related to
> xml:ids, that means that the language must permit to remove the
> attribute or to change its values if this happens as the result of a
> user action or a machine processing the document.

Right.

> 2. If a document is opened and saved again, we all expect that the
> paragraph content is preserved. The same applies to tables, lists,
> images. etc.

Does this include attributes?

> Does the specification has a language that enforces
> that? No, it doesn't. But we all expect that these features are
> preserved anyway.
> But what's different with the xml:id (and metadata in general) that
> there is the assumption that it may get removed unless there is a
> language that forbids that?

The bottomline is, because we move so much of the RDF logic into the
package, the xml:id attributes become crucial anchor points. In short,
if an application removes, say, the xml:id from a text:meta-field or
otherwise causes the URI binding to be invalid, the field will break.
It would be bad for interoperability for applications to do this.

> 3. The focus of ODF of course are office documents. But there always
> was the assumption that also other kind of applications should be able
> to use ODF. So, if someone develops a small text editor and wishes to
> support ODF to the extend that typical text editors can, this should
> be be possible. Our language should not prohibit that. We should also
> not forget the various ODF plug-in efforts for MS Office or similar
> ODF implementations. They have only limited control of what happens
> with certain information during complex load, edit and save operations
> within MS Office. I'm not sure if they can preserve all metadata and
> all xml:ids under all circumstances in a way that keeps the metadata
> consistent and therefore of value.

Well, let's say an application doesn't care about metadata. All they
have to do is preserve the files in the package and the xml:ids as is.
They need not do any kind of processing.

I don't see how this is any real burden (?).

> Having that said, here are my suggestions. Please do not consider them
> as a proposal. They are only suggestions, and the SC may follow them
> as a whole or partially, or may not.
>
> 1. We may move all the metadata related should/shall language into the
> general conformance section. This has the advantage that it is not
> overlooked as easy as it would be if it is in the element and
> attribute description. It further has the advantage that metadata is
> mentioned at a very prominent position.
> 2. We may introduce the term of a metadata-aware application (or
> something like that), and define conformance definitions along the
> following lines for it:

I think the rules should apply to all ODF 1.2 compliant applications.
Carving out a separate category of "metadata aware" leaves a large
loophole.

On that basis, perhaps option 1 is preferable, where the language
remains "shall." I'd go even further, n fact, and require preservation
of all attributes. That makes it a generic requirement that is not
specific to metadata, but ensures xml:id preservation.

Bruce