Subject: Re: [office-metadata] final updates

Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2007, at 3:44 PM, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>
>> So, suggest: "Applications that read and write documents should
>> preserve all metadata files."
>>
>> Yes, metadata files do represent graphs but that really isn't
>> essential to the point I think we are trying to make.
>
> But then we get back to the question "what does it mean to preserve?"
>
> Maybe it's really not important and your wording is fine (?).

Well, you did not ask about "preserve," only the awkward language. ;-)

Actually I am not sure what we can say beyond "preserve" without
specifying how a file is processed. In other words, I may simply toss
the metadata files into a blob and write them back out just as I found
them. Or, I may load them into my RDF-capable ODF applications and
serialize them back out.

Moreover, what happens if due to some change in the file that contains
the metadata? I have an RDF aware ODF based application and I
deliberately change the metadata. I certainly haven't "preserved" the
prior metadata.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--