Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Re: Fwd: [office] proposal to enhanceannotations

Hmm. Looks like a perfect use-case for metadata.
And especially a lot of time went into the dicussion of ids and overlapping start/end segments.

So I see no reason why introducing yet another extension mechanism.

At least the proposal should be compatible with the metadata spec and not orthogonal.

~Florian

>>> Michael Brauer <Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM> 07/26/07 3:00 PM >>>
I don't know, but how does that help?

The proposal is to extend the existing annotations, that are anchored at
a certain position in the text, by an additional element, so that it
becomes possible that to anchor them on a range of characters.

Michael

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> Michael Brauer wrote:
>> Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

>>> I think yes, it should be.
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>
>> This was my first impression, too.
>>
>> But as Oliver said, the proposal is about slightly extending an
>> existing feature in a backward compatible manner. Furthermore, the
>> annotation itself is not just text, but are ODF paragraphs, that again
>> can make use of styles. So, using metadata, we would not only loose
>> the backward comptibility, we also would have to find a way to handle
>> the ODF that is the annotation.
>
> I don't recall, but can annotations take xml:id in our proposal?
>
> Bruce

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

        D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten