Subject: Re: [office-metadata] citation

Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> Svante Schubert wrote:

>> In general any further prerequisites regarding citation would be
>> helpful, any information on scenarios / requirements you would like
>> to cover.
>
> A citation is a field that contains one or more references, each of
> which has required source and sequence properties, and the following
> optional properties: prefix, suffix, page.
>
> Might look like:
>
> <urn:uuid:098u0813udij13r3j180r> a field:Citation ;
>   field:reference <urn:uuid:pw983498134eeqjejfa> ;
>   field:reference <urn:uuid:q98924931rijjqp29e4s2> .
>
> <urn:uuid:pw983498134eeqjejfa> a field:Reference ;
>   field:sequence "1" ;
>   field:prefix "see " ;
>   dcterms:source <http://ex.net.1> ;
>   cite:pages "23" .
>
> ... and so forth.
>
>> Remember I still need to know more about citation, esp. understand
>> what you like to cover.
>>>
>>> field:Field a owl:Class ;
>>>     rdfs:label "Field"@en ;
>>>     rdfs:comment "A generic document field."@en .
>>>
>>> field:Reference a owl:Class ;
>>>     rdfs:label "Reference"@en ;
>>>     rdfs:comment "A reference to an object."@en ;
>>>     rdfs:subClassOf odf:Field .
>> What is the difference between field:Field and odf:Field?
>
> Nothing. Am not sure what the namespace and prefix should be.
Would it be an option for you that we gather more experience with your
citation metadata implementation first, before the vocabulary is carved
out of stone by us now?
I personally think, it might be a a better idea that we gather more
experience with your metadata implementation and embrace the citation
metadata vocabulary later in ODF 1.3.
For instance, the W3C does it this way, waiting for implementations
until the 'Candidate Recommendation' becomes a final 'Recommendation'.

The nice thing about using metadata for citation, your implementation
would be already in ODF 1.2 a valid approach and would be
interchangeable with later OOo versions.
The only difference it would become in ODF 1.3 a full ODF feature, when
it is more matured, so we would still have the change to add and tweak
features?

What do you think, Bruce?