Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Groups - ODF-Metadata-Proposal-22August2007 (07-08-22-ODF-Metadata-Proposal.odt) uploaded

On 8/22/07, Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:
Patrick Durusau wrote:

>> Or more generally, how are we going to manage things going forward in
>> terms of encouraging standardization of implementation for particular
>> use cases (like two that are on the plate now: citations and license
>> information)?
>>
> Personally I would like to see the ODF TC publish "best practices" for
> metadata and when some particular "best practice" becomes wide spread,
> then to fold it into the standard. That would not restrict
> experimentation and yet at the same time allow the TC to incorporate
> what has been found to be popular among particular user communities.

That sounds good to me. I guess we'll just have to figure out exactly
how best to do that. The wiki might be helpful?

Hurrah! Bruce gives away another interoperability requirement.

Does anyone see a pattern here? Microsoft says what the world needs is competing standards so the market can decide which standard is best. Sun says we need competing, non-standard ized implementations of ODF so the market can decide. Now Patrick takes up the Microsoft/Sun line and Bruce once again wilts before the inescapable logic of the Microsoft/Sun/Patrick position.

Yuck!