Subject: [Fwd: Re: ODF and semantic web]

 From the Chair of the SemWeb group at the W3C.

I'm not really sure there's much we can do. I suppose we could:

1. make sure the attribute names align
2. suggest they create a namespaced version of their's that we *could* use?

Anything else?

Bruce

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: ODF and semantic web
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:21:25 +0200
From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
To: Elias Torres <elias@torrez.us>
CC: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@formsPlayer.com>,	Bruce D'Arcus
<bdarcus@gmail.com>,	Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>,	W3C RDFa task
force <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Elias, Mark, Bruce, & al

First of all: I think Elias is right. 'Our' (if one can define this
'our', which is not always easy) first reaction should be (and believe
me, is!): yey! Having _some_ syntax to store RDF metadata in ODF _is_
major and good news. In some ways, _what_ the exact serialization syntax
is remains of a secondary importance as long as it is clearly defined
and transformable (via GRDDL or anything else, although GRDDL comes to
one's mind first) into other formats. So yes, yey!:-)

As for Mark's concerns: yes, if RDFa could be used, that would be even
better, because it would reduce the number of overlapping serializations
and would therefore help in a quicker integration of ODF metadata into
the SW world. It would be good _if_ it is possible and meets the
constraints that ODF has. At this point, the obvious question and
comment is: what can be done to help improve this? There are some
(probably solvable) technical issues; and there are also 'social', ie,
the 'how to do it?', 'where and how to comment?' part. I think Elias'
and Bruce's advise on that would be really welcome. We can then try to
take it from there...

Sincerely

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/