office-requirements message

Subject: Proof of Concept -- We can suck structured data out from ODF comment listarchives

When we discussed the quantity of recommendations that might come from our
Call for Proposals for ODF-Next, one consideration was how we will handle
all the incoming data.  Manually transcribing data into a spreadsheet, as
we do now did not sound fun.  And setting up our own web form for comment
submissions wasn't feasible, because it does not accord with OASIS IPR
rules, which require public comments to come through the list.

So, I wrote a Python script that goes through list archives and dumps out
the URL to each post, the author, the subject of the post, and the
date/time of the post.  I've tested against the office and office-comments
list, though it should work for any OASIS list archive.  The only
complication was a slight change in page structure that occurred back in
January 2003, but I was able to conditionalize some of the logic to handle
it both ways.

Here is an example dump for the office-comment list:

Although the output format here is less than inspiring, it would be easy
to make the script output to an ODF spreadsheet file directly, or to a CSV
file suitable for importing into JIRA.

So I think we're good to go in that department.

Regards,

-Rob

out.zip