office-requirements message

Subject: Re: [office-requirements] Requirements

Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@gmail.com> wrote on 04/30/2009 04:26:45 AM:

> It is the last day of April and it looks like the requirements TC will
> overrun the due date for the report of 1 May.

That's fine. This report was intended to be a background thread activity
as we completed ODF 1.2.

> Nevertheless the number of requests on the public comment list are
> relatively few so I think I can prepare a draft of a report which I
> will share with the SC over the next few days.  There are a number of
> issues which emerge in calls which have been "relegated" to
> requirements.  I have not attended all calls but I am assuming that
> Rob's register of comments accurately captures these.  Rob is this the
> case?
>
> There should also be an opportunity for TC members to make direct
> input, but perhaps this can be after the public contributed
> requirements have been summarized.  Or should such be integrated into
> this document?  I think that would be the start of a longer process.

I can send you an extract from the spreadsheet of just the comments we
assigned for ODF-Next consideration.

I'm hoping TC members will also be vocal on possible themes and
capabilities for ODF-Next.  I don't have a strong opinion on whether this
is two steps, or whether we gather all such feedback into the same initial
document.

We should also make some statement on what degree of backwards
compatibility we will aim for with ODF-Next.  I am already hearing from
one country's national standards committee (which I will not name) that
one large software publisher (whom I will not name) is arguing against the
adoption of ODF, for among other reasons, that the ODF TC has "started
work on ODF 2.0 which will not be backwards compatible."

-Rob