Subject: RE: [office] Clarification re: DSDL and W3C Schema

I agree with John. There is a lot to be said for making the normative
expression of the constraints independent of schema-language du-jour.
Some BNF-ish notation along with narrative text is one possibilty.
This will of course be imperfect, true expression of the specification
can only be seen through running code. However, I think this bears
consideration as putting one particular schema language "on top"
to generate the others mechanically risks:

1) creating an impression that one particular schema language is superior
to the others (lets not start that debate!)

2) mechanically generated schemas will always be yucky compared
to hand crafted ones - creating second class citizens of the generated
notations.

regards,
Sean McGrath
http://seanmcgrath.blogspot.com