Subject: Re: [office] Processing Instructions

Jason,

Jason Harrop wrote:
> Should our specification state explicitly how compliant applications are
> to handle processing instructions?

Well, I wouldn't like that... Please see below.

> I would expect that by default, an editing application should preserve
> processing instructions which it does not understand.  (By contrast,
> when I tested OpenOffice (641 or 643) by manually inserting a processing
> instruction in the content and then opening it in OpenOffice, editing
> and saving again, the PI got removed.)

Indeed. The problem is that processing instructions (PI) are, by and
large, not part of the content but rather of the physical
representation. And the physical representation of a document is
something that we can't (and don't really want to) preserve. The same
applies to e.g. the text encoding, entities, or indentation.

The problem is that preserving 'arbitrary' data is only really possible
if your internal document model is DOM (or something rather similar). I
assume DOM would be a fairly natural document model for an XML editor
(or other XML centric tools). But it's unsuitable for an office application.

What OpenOffice.org does when loading XML files is to translate from the
XML representation into the internal representation. All content from
the XML representation has equivalents in the internal one, so the
conversion is lossless. However, everything not specified in the format
(e.g. PIs) will (generally) be dropped.

The problem is that PIs can occur just anywhere with any content, so
it's plainly hard to put the data somewhere. If one has a generix
documet model (like DOM), it's not much of a problem. If one has a more
specialized document model (as OpenOffice.org does, and as I'm sure
virtually any other office application has), that's a major problem. I
doubt that OOo (or any other office suite) would ever manage to
completely comply with such a requirement...

Jason, a rather basic question: What were you actually trying to
achieve? Would other forms of extensibility cover your needs?

Sincerely,
Daniel