Subject: Re: [office] Proposal for lists/numbered paragraphs

On Monday 24 March 2003 16:48, Philip Boutros wrote:
> <office:automatic-styles>
> style:parent-style-name="First line indent" style:list-style-name="List
> 4"/>
> </office:automatic-styles>
>
>         <text:unordered-list text:style-name="List 4">
>             <text:list-item>
>                 <text:p text:style-name="P1">One</text:p>
>             </text:list-item>
>             <text:list-item>
>                 <text:p text:style-name="P1">Two</text:p>
>             </text:list-item>
>             <text:list-item>
>                 <text:p text:style-name="P1">Three</text:p>
>             </text:list-item>
>         </text:unordered-list>
>

> Notice that "List 4" is referenced both by the text:unordered-list and
> by the "P1" paragraph style. What if "P1" referenced a different list
> style? How would I be required to interpret this?

As far as I understand the OO file format, the closest style is that one that
overrides the furthest, so the style named in <text:p> is the one that would be used.

If the style for every paragraph specifies P1, then the style associated with
the overall list won't be used at all - is this correct, Daniel/Michael?

> Since the paragraph style already contains the list style information,
> from a rendering standpoint in this example the text:unordered-list is
> completely redundant and the text:list-item is simply defining a list
> level. List level could be easily done with an attribute (which could
> default to 1) producing the following alternative XML.
>
> <text:p text:style-name="P1">One</text:p>
> <text:p text:style-name="P1">Two</text:p>
> <text:p text:style-name="P1">Three</text:p>
>
> This all seems like a lot of extra syntax just so HTML generation can
> eaisly produce <OL> and <LI> tags.
Not only HTML. Any kind of format that needs structure: XSL, Docbook, ...
Formats that don't need structure can easily get rid of it, that's easier than
figuring out the structure from a non-structured file - although, well, that's
what word processors have to do when saving, though (figuring out the
beginning and end of each list).

Anyway a conclusion of "it's extra syntax, but it's doable and equivalent"
(which I agree with), doesn't have the same consequences as a conclusion of
"this loses information". That would indeed be a very big problem, but I think
we established now that there is no information loss, right?

- --
David FAURE, faure@kde.org, sponsored by TrollTech to work on KDE,
How to write a Makefile.am for KDE/Qt code:
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/other/makefile_am_howto.html