Subject: Voting about lists

Dear TC members,

in preparation of a voting about lists, I would like to name the three
options we have, and the main arguments for or against it. The lists of
arguments might be incomplete, so I would like ask you to have a look at
the whole numbering and bullets thread in this list.

Option A)
---------
Keep lists as specified in the OpenOffice.org specification (with the
only modification that <text:orderered-list> and <text:unordered-list>
are replaced with a <text:list>. That is, every numbererd paragaph has
to be contained in a <list> element, and the number of <list> anchestor
elements determines the paragraph's level.

pros:
- simple transformation to XSL-FO, XHTML, DocBook and other formats.
- retains list structure
- one concept for numbered paragraphs and lists

cons:
- single numbered paragraphs require some overhead
- representation differs from common word processor's internal
implementation.

Option B)
---------
Replace <list> element with a <numbered-paragraph> that has an attribute
specifying the level of the numbering.

pros:
- lean representation of single numbered paragraphs
- representation equals common word processor's internal implementation.
- one concept for numbered paragraphs and lists

cons:
- difficult transformation to XSL-FO, XHTML, DocBook and other formats.
- list structure gets lost even if it exists in the document

Option C)
---------
Support for both <list> elements as described in A) and
<numbered-paragraph> elements as described in B)

pros:
- simple transformation to XSL-FO, XHTML, DocBook and other formats for
numbered paragraphs that form a list.
- retains list structure for numbered paragarphs that form a list
- lean representation of single numbered paragraphs

cons:
- difficult transformation to XSL-FO, XHTML, DocBook and other formats
for single numbered paragraphs.
- two concepts for numbered paragraphs and lists

I suggest that we start the voting next Monday one hour after our TC
meeting (April, the 10th, 10am PDT) and close it one hour before the
next but one meeting (April, the 17th, 10am PDT). However, since this is
the first e-mail voting we do, we should first agree in the next meeting
on a general opening and start time for ballots.

P.S.: The voting will be accessible on the TC's member web page
(http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/)