Subject: JavaOne

Will anyone be at JavaOne this week?
-Phil

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Vogelheim [mailto:Daniel.Vogelheim@sun.com]
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 2:19 PM
To: office@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [office] Multiple object renditions proposal

Hello,

> The current specification mixes the definition of a frame and its
> attributes (position, size, border, etc.) and the definition of it's
> contents. I believe the correct way to modify the specification is to
> add an explicit office:frame (or draw:frame) element and move all the
> "frame" attributes up to it. It's contents then become 1..n of the
> existing "frame" elements
> (text-box,image,applet,plugin,object,object-ole) minus all the frame
> attributes. The order of these elements under the office:frame element

> dictates the applications preference for use with the first child
> being the most preferred.
[...]
> Notice this not only allows OLE objects to have multiple renditions
> (the primary use case) but other things like plug-ins, applets, etc.
> to have them. This seems a simple and flexible change to me.

Yes, it's simpler and more flexible.

The only thing I wonder about is that this allows some silly
combinations. E.g., what's the semantics of a text frame with two
text-boxes, one containing <text:p>Peter</text:p>, the other containing
<text:p>Mary</text:p>? Would there be any circumstances in which the
second gets displayed?

One could try to restrict this in the schema (e.g. allow only one
text-box child), but my gut feeling is this isn't worth it; these kinds
of restrictions translate badly into XSD and DTD. So I'd say we keep
Phil's proposal... we can't keep people from shooting themselves in the
foot anyway.

Sincerely,
Daniel

You may leave a Technical Committee at any time by visiting
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/members/leave_workgr
oup.php